“To listen well is as powerful a means of communication and influence as to talk well”
-
I departed my humble abode bright and early in an excessively blissful mood. Not because it was a Friday, but because of the coffee I get to enjoy every Friday morning! As a creature of habit, I had fallen into a Friday routine, which just happened to involve stopping at my local BP Gas Station. Although I started going to the BP for the coffee, I fell into the routine because of how sociable the employees were.
One in particular, Gary, was working just to fund his dream. I found one Friday morning that he desired an opportunity to create his own music label. Unfortunately, I did not make it back to the BP that following Friday due to an erratic schedule. Yet, when I finally found my way back to the Friday morning establishment, I made sure to find out how his musical endeavors were going. His response was simple, yet eye opening… “You remembered?!”
I do not have the best memory and I definitely do not find myself listening when I should be, yet when Gary continued to reveal the progress he had made, I just stood there surprised. The sense of shock was not owed to the fact that I remembered, but that Gary seemed so surprised that someone listened.
So What Does This Mean to You…
Whether it is in your sales career or just everyday life, you will always have an opportunity to listen. Remember to take that opportunity every chance you get and you will be surprised at what really is going on around you. The greatest gift you can give anyone is listening and respecting what he or she has to say. The challenge here is to actually LISTEN. Stand out and be one of the exceptional communicators… an expert conversationalist AND listener.
-J.C.
No comments:
Post a Comment